Thursday, September 29, 2011

Re: Trying to convince management that Open Source is a good thing

Getting paid support is generally possible for most infrastructure
type open source projects.

- MySQL -> Pay oracle.
- Linux -> Pay Redhat or Canonical

For smaller non infrastructure type projects there is usually a
developer or affiliated company that is happy to take money and be on
a retainer in case something goes bad.

-Mark

On Sep 27, 10:40 am, "Yves S. Garret" <yoursurrogate...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Sorry about this not being CakePHP specific, but rather something being
> tangentially related to CakePHP.  However, in my organization, there is a
> serious issue with convincing management that Open Source is a good idea.
>  As a result we are stuck with using Windows servers and _forced_ to use
> MSSQL.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Microsoft (I run Mac, Windows and Linux at
> home) or want to start a flamewar of some sort.  However, I would like to
> know of some BUSINESS REASONS that I can use to sell to management that this
> is not only a good idea, but head and shoulders above our present way of
> going.
>
> My reason for doing this is because it's so much easier to get updates,
> fixes and improvements than with a close source approach.  Management is
> worried about support.  I don't really care, I can admin my own box just
> fine.  They want an approach that will cover their rear ends in case
> something bad happens (i.e. someone will come on-site and fix it for them).
>  Is there consultant group that provides support and other such services in
> the Rhode Island area that we could tap into?  I'd keep Windows around, but
> since we do most of our development on the web, it's kind of pointless to
> care too much what OS you're running.

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.


To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php

No comments: