Thursday, March 26, 2015

Re: Very basic question about the 'CakePHP Project Files'

When CakePHP is installed there are a number of files which come automatically with the framework. There should then be a set of files that have been created by the developer, usually in a directory called 'app'. This is probably what they are referring to when they mention the 'cake project file'. You will/should have a copy of these files on your server. There should be no additional files held by your original developer which you would need, or prevent you from making changes to your site.

As suggested can you post the specific problems you are having so that people can help you. Or if you are reluctant to do so, email me and I'll see if I can help, or at least put you on the right road.

Dave

On Thursday, 26 March 2015 12:34:18 UTC, rogerdw...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Dave, I really appreciate your reply.

Yes, the site is on my server  ...  I have the log-in and password and can see all files and folders via the cPanel.

The site also has a CMS that I can log-in to  ...  to add info and make changes to content  ...  that all works ok.

So the comments about me needing the 'cake project file' to have someone make changes to the 'background workings' of the site  ...  is a load of nonsense then?

This project was started over 2 years ago  ...  so I would need to find the original agreement, but my understanding certainly was that once it was finished it was going to be my site. I paid enough for it.

The intention was to later, create several more sites using the same code  ...  just with different content.

Thanks again for your help  ...  I can stop holding my breath maybe   :)

Cheers,  Roger

On Thursday, 26 March 2015 22:45:04 UTC+10:30, Dave Edwards wrote:
If you have the site/application sitting on your server, that's all you will need to have the amendments made. I am of course assuming that you've full access to the server?

Usually, if you have paid to have a site written, you OWN the code, unless there was some sort of other arrangement that had previously agreed with the original programmer.

Dave

On Thursday, 26 March 2015 09:08:42 UTC, rogerdw...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi guys, I searched out this group to get a definite answer to my dilemma. I am an end user  ...  not a programmer.

I had a CakePHP site built and delivered but there a few small issues with it.

The long and short of it is that after I had made the final payment and it was transferred to my own server, I asked for some minor issues to be fixed.

After dragging their feet and pretty much ignoring me, I approached other programmers to see if they could finish it off.

They told me that they need access to the 'cake project file' to continue any work  ...  but the web development team say that it is not their company policy to provide that.

Apart from the fact that it feels like I'm being held to ransom  ... especially after I paid the agreed price, plus a bit more  ...  they are not doing the work and my site is un-useable.

Can anyone offer any (helpful) advise please. :)

Thanks,  Roger

--
Like Us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/CakePHP
Find us on Twitter http://twitter.com/CakePHP

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: