Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Re: Is "Beginning CakePhp from novice to professional" still valid with CakePhp version 1.3.2?

Used the book myself on CakePHP 1.3.2 - had no problems.

On Jun 29, 7:10 am, Jeremy Burns | Class Outfit
<jeremybu...@classoutfit.com> wrote:
> There are more differences than that, but if you read the migration guide (http://book.cakephp.org/view/1561/Migrating-from-CakePHP-1-2-to-1-3) you'll very quickly be able to move on up. The book is the best out there (even though there are only three that I know of). I don't *think* that much of it stretches into any really complex areas where the sample code won't work either straightaway of with a few minor tweaks. I think the key thing is to change all references to $something->function to $this->Something->function (e.g. $form->create becomes $this->Form->create, $html->link becomes $this->Html->link, and so on).
>
> Encountering incompatibilities is a good thing as it will make you examine, debug and fix the code, which is a much, much better way of learning than just copying, pasting and running code.
>
> Jeremy Burns
> Class Outfit
>
> jeremybu...@classoutfit.comhttp://www.classoutfit.com
>
> On 29 Jun 2010, at 05:48, websurfshop wrote:
>
> > I haven't got into 1.3 yet, I'm a slacker about getting into this web
> > dev thing for sure, but I read the book :-/  But from what I gather
> > most of it should apply except the ajax stuff in the book where it
> > uses Jquery.  Which now can have the libraries imported just like
> > prototype.  Don't call me on it.  But that is what I gather.
>
> > On Jun 27, 2:34 am, caruso_g <peppecar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I am studying CakePhp on "Beginning CakePhp from novice to
> >> professional" by Apress.
> >> Instead of version 1.2.x, I downloaded and installed CakePhp version
> >> 1.3.2 to follow books' examples and tutorials.
> >> Will I encounter incompatibilities?
> >> I already read "migration from 1.2.x to 1.3" but I still don't have
> >> the needed knowledge to understand if and where I will encounter
> >> deprecated code.
> >> Thanks you all!
>
> > Check out the new CakePHP Questions sitehttp://cakeqs.organd help others with their CakePHP related questions.
>
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

No comments: