Friday, July 30, 2010

Character encoding for trademarks

More in my continuing saga of trying to fix the horrible data mess my
company has...

The company's original SQL Server databases are riddled with trademark
symbols, copyright symbols and registered trademark symbols entered
directly into the data. These symbols present a fairly significant
challenge to displaying things correctly on the web, not the least of
which is the fact that, apparently, my CakePHP application does not
want to display the registered symbols in any way, shape or form.

So, the thing is character encoding. In core.php, I have set
Configure::write('App.encoding', 'iso-8859-1'); in my database schema,
I have set 'encoding' => 'iso-8859-1'. So as I understood it, that
should have been enough to get anything that displays in the MS-SQL
database to also display throughout the CakePHP application, but
apparently not.

The thing is: I've actually tried viewing results from the Models via
the Console and gotten the same results as on the web. So, I'm
confident this isn't a layout problem, not a problem with Apache's
default character set. Somewhere in Cake there is a problem displaying
these characters.

Should I be using a different encoding? It seems like this is the
right choice for Windows characters.

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

No comments: