Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Re: How do I get prototype to

What cake will do for you is help you keep your javascript out of your
pages (or organized in your pages). It gives you the script() method
in the Html Helper to load javascript files. And it gives you the
buffer() and write() methods in the Js Helper to collect javascript
code and output it all at the end of your html page.

Other than these code-organization tools, cake doesn't concern itself
too much with javascript. The Js Helper makes efforts in that
direction but if you're new to javascript it might be easier to work
pretty directly with the language as you solve your problem and just
use the cake tools that get your code into your page in a neat way.

By default, the Js Helper makes the jQuery framework for javascript
available to you, so you can use that to write your js code. Learning
a new language from the context of a framework though... maybe it's
just me, but that seems both hard and a bit crazy. I have a hard time
penetrating the abstraction a framework imposes and if I don't know
the language underneath! Yikes!

Don

On May 31, 7:32 am, barricades <davow...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've a search page which allows users to search through a table of
> charities. Each charity has one or more tags attached to it. As a
> search alternative I'd like a list of the tags (there are only 20 or
> so) with a checkbox for each where if someone checks one or more boxes
> then only the charities with those tags appear in the list.
>
> So I've made the list and been advised that I should use
> 'observerform' call on the page that runs whenever the form is
> changed'
>
> I've googled observerform but haven't been able to figure out what
> exactly to do since I'm totally new to javascript.
>
> Can anyone give me a bit of a road map on how to do this? I don't get
> how to attach the javascript to the form and how to make it call a
> function to run the query
>
> I did findhttp://stackoverflow.com/questions/2417542/how-can-i-implement-a-js-o...
> which has a bit of javascript which might help but from what I've
> learned about cakephp there is probably a much better way of doing
> this.

--
Our newest site for the community: CakePHP Video Tutorials http://tv.cakephp.org
Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://ask.cakephp.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.


To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php

No comments: