Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Re: Cake 2: Very confusing docs/tutorials... Is there another foolproof source?

I have been reading the cakephp book, looking on youtube, googling any examples I can for the past 3 weeks. 
Feel like I am banging my head against the wall and could easily do this stuff outside the framework.

The documentation is lacking real examples that beginners could actually build on.

I have hacked together a front end to my test website, a front end user section and an admin section (still can't route  to
it properly). 

Should I have a separate login code for my administration section ?

Should I be creating an AdminController or do I still admin functions in all my controllers  (aka admin_index,admin_edit,admin_delete).

How to build a category manager in the administration section ?   Should I be using someone's plugin/helper from github ? 

They should really attempt to put together a tutorial site that shows more than the blog example. 
A website that has a user registration, login, profile section.  Listing of products or articles and an administration
section would be something very valuable to all beginners.

 I do see the potential benefits of cakephp but finding decent best practices (examples)  on the internet is pretty bad.  Considering
cakephp 2.x was released 2 years ago or so? 

Not to mention I am already reading about cakephp 3.0   .   Maybe a concentrated effort to develop 20,50, 100 best practice examples for
cakephp 3.0  would be very beneficial.



On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:45:02 AM UTC-4, euromark wrote:
Silver Troy: Mark Story != dereuromark ;)

Most beginners find the book sufficient - and properly explaining the basics.


Am Mittwoch, 30. Oktober 2013 05:30:20 UTC+1 schrieb Silver Troy:
I have to agree with the above comments about trying to find real examples with cakephp 2.x.

The cakephp youtube channel doesn't give you any video examples on simple concepts.

The documentation has a lot of useful information, but little examples to put them into action.

Doing the blog tutorial example was pretty quick and easy.  Adding authentication the Andrew perkins
youtube videos were good. 

But seriously Cakephp you need to develop some real world simple examples.  Cause its frustrating
as a php developer to be attempting to figure out how to properly code inside of cakephp's framework.

I read the documentation, the bakery, youtube videos, google for tutorials. 

But can I find a simple menu building example ?
How to build an admin section with proper routing ?
How to connection with hasOne, hasMany ?
Building a category tree that lists products in each level with paging ?

Oh I have read over Mark Story's Tree Behavior article and attempted to install his "Tools" plugin ..
but trying to get a working example .... sigh.   Should I really have to install someone else's plugin
to build a category system in a website ?

Quite the frustration is trying to learn this framework ... spinning my wheels.

Yes I tried the irc channel and basically the first person to respond made me feel like an idiot ... not impressed
and then basically linked a bunch of the book.cakephp.org sections .. which I have already read that don't give a proper working example or stop just short of the basic functionality.

 

--
Like Us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/CakePHP
Find us on Twitter http://twitter.com/CakePHP
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: