Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Re: problems saving datetime

Problem solved, I worked out the issue. I have a few spots in my layout that display dynamic data and I usually use Jquery $('#element').load() to populate those spaces. I threw $this->News->get(); into the AppController beforeFilter to temporarily retrieve the needed data as I worked on styling, etc. When I got around to creating my JS file and removed the code from beforeFilter the problem immediately went away. To confirm I put the code back and the problem returned. Here and there I'll use the AppController to house some shared logic but cannot think of a time I tried to retrieve data through it (excluding this time). Generally I'll use Jquery and/or view blocks to utilize or extend my existing views/controllers. Anyhow, I suppose I never gave it much thought and it's probably a bit unconventional but is fetching data through the AppController really enough to break your app? There are plenty of times I don't understand things as well I think or would like to but I didn't think using the  AppController in such a way was basically throwing a wrench into the works. I feel like I'm still missing something here which is generally the case :)

On Monday, October 21, 2013 1:26:38 PM UTC-4, CrotchFrog wrote:
I ran into an issue trying to save a datetime field and I haven't been able to figure out why it's not saving (not failing).
Database set up is Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS w/ Percona Server 5.6 -- I'm using Cake 2.4.1

//table set up

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `news`;
CREATE TABLE `news` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `user_id` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `title` tinytext NOT NULL,
  `article` text NOT NULL,
  `start` datetime NOT NULL,
  `stop` datetime NOT NULL,
  `created` datetime NOT NULL,
  `modified` datetime NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=23 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

Before saving I convert user input into a savable format. I tried the conversion in both controller and model beforeSave. 

// conversion 

$xstart = explode('-', $this->request->data['News']['start']);
$start = strtotime($xstart[0].' '.$xstart[1]);
$date = date('Y-m-d H:i:s', $start);            
$this->request->data['News']['start'] = $date;
            
$xstop = explode('-', $this->request->data['News']['stop']);            
$stop = strtotime($xstop[0].' '.$xstop[1]);
$expire = date('Y-m-d H:i:s', $stop);            
$this->request->data['News']['stop'] = $expire;

// debug request data

array(  	'News' => array(  		'start' => '2013-10-21 13:13:00',  		'stop' => '2013-10-22 21:00:00',  		'title' => 'Test Article Title',  		'article' => 'Test Article Body',  		'user_id' => '5'  	)  )

The request does not fail but it also does not save to DB.

// To test what's happening bypass conversion and throw together quick data array

$this->request->data = array(                      'News' => array(                          'title' => 'this is a title',                          'article' => 'this is an article',                          'start' =>  '2013-10-22 13:00:00',                          //'stop' => '2013-10-22 13:00:00',                      ));

Data saves fine as long as 'stop' key is not in the array. As soon as I include the key, nothing saves (I changed the column name a few times thinking perhaps there was an issue with the name but it didn't help). 

If I change the array to use converted data, ie. 'start' => $date it will not save. Tried casting $date as string, it didn't help. 

So, using either formatted date from converted data will not save. My test array saves as long as I don't include the 'stop' key or try to include converted data. 
I checked all my error logs but there is nothing there. I was sure I'm overlooking something simple but I just don't see it. 

I'm stumped (or perhaps more frustrated at this point).

Any help is appreciated. 




--
Like Us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/CakePHP
Find us on Twitter http://twitter.com/CakePHP
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: