Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to handle "non English" text searches?

Hi,
This has been nagging at the back of my head for a long time. I feel
like I should be using schema migrations. Especially for one
constantly evolving app I work on. But I have not found any way that
handles "non English" text without my interfering with the schema
details directly (in MySQL in this case).

How is it done? There has got to be tons of apps developed with full
text search and a umlaut characters and/or multi-lingual content.

Whenever I have tried ignoring CHARSET and COLLATION and tested
migrations I have had unpredictable results from finds on text fields
(varchar, text...).

Are you all doing the same Sql dance I am? I feel like I have missed
some simple critical detail since there is very little information and
discussion about this.

P.S.
I manage my schema using a MySQL manager that can sync and create
"diffs" between databases and servers. It works reasonably well but it
is not exactly integrated into SCM or in any big way linked to
versions of the app. (But I do save a complete schema dump along with
the source after every change so that I have some record of the
changes)
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: