Friday, October 30, 2009

Database Design Advice Needed - Multiple Companies having Accounting, Production and CRM components

Good day. Please note that I am not a professional and the software
I'm creating is for two small companies i own. Please take it easy on
me. My plan is to create a cakephp app which has accounting,
production (job tracking) and crm components. I understand it sounds
ambitious but I'd like to able to finish this project in the near
future. I need your advice on a good database design for this kind of
system.

I have 2 small businesses which would use this system independently.
Each company will have their own customers and database users. The
customers tie all of the Accounting, Production and CRM Components
together.


Companies --------------> Corresponding Database Users
(i.e. Company 1, Company 2)
|
|
Customers
|
----------------------------------------
| | |
Accounting Production CRM

I'd like to know a couple of things.

1. Do you think this kind of system is feasible to do with cakephp and
mysql? We are currently using different third party software for
these components except the Production system which is done in php.
Having no tie-in between the three creates discrepancies.

2. Database Design - Here is where I get stumped. While it's easy to
put everything on one database, I am inclined to believe that this
isn't in line with good database design practices. I maybe wrong here
but please give me your opinion. Single database (with all of the
levels in tables) or multiple databases?

3. If I were to use multiple databases, which ones would need their
own database? Should all components in the diagram have their own
databases or should the databases be on a company level? (i.e. each
company has its own mysql database) Since customers tie in the
Accounting, Production and CRM components, should it have a separate
database as well as these three?

Please take it easy on me. I'd really appreciate some advice/feedback
on my dilemma. Thank you for your time.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: