Saturday, October 31, 2009

Re: Cake Hosting - Who is the best?

I had never set up a linux system before I set up my current one. I
used the Linode/Slicehost guides and was up and running in a few
hours.

There are good guides on setting up your own mailserver as well. I
set up my mailserver using postfix and simply forward all mail to my
main gmail account. I have gmail set up so that when I reply, gmail
logs into my site's mailserver to send. Works like a charm.

On Oct 31, 3:29 am, Jon Bennett <jmbenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Tim,
>
> > I am thinking of Linode - they seem awesome. I am a little intimidated
> > about having to install my own LAMP stack though. I see their setup
> > guides - what system should I use though? I've used fedora and cent a
> > while back but I don't know what is the best to use for cake app type
> > hosting.
>
> I use Ubuntu (hardy I think), takes about an hour to get everything
> installed (quite poss longer first time though), including security
> stuff like deny hosts. Once it's set up, it's very easy to manage, you
> just run "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" every few
> weeks to keep security patches in place. Adding a new site is as easy
> as creating the directories on the server, a vhost file and running
> "sudo a2ensite mydomain.com".
>
> I'd recommend not running a mail server though, instead get a free
> google apps account and run all email via google.
>
> hth
>
> Jon
>
> jon bennett -www.jben.net- blog.jben.net
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: