Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Re: Retrieving objects from the DB instead of arrays

The cookbook is really comprehensive. The content isn't always where I'd expect it to be but I found reading it from top to bottom several times very helpful.

Beyond that I'd say just start building your project and structure it the way you want within the confines of Cakely convention. Your 2nd app will be better then the 1st because you slogged through the framework on your own. 3rd, 4th, and 5th even better still!

There's no avoiding that initial bump of frustration and hair pulling one goes through learning a new framework I'm afraid. :-]

Good luck.

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:29 AM, paws_galuten <jason.galuten@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for all of the helpful responses. It makes sense, but I feel
like I'm shooting in the dark when it comes to learning cake. I do, in
fact, have a fat controller and a thin model. I would really like to
see some simple example apps, or a tutorial that does a little more
than the blog. I guess I just have to keep trying things and asking
questions, but I don't know where one goes to learn the conventions.

Thanks,
Jason


On Mar 30, 9:54 pm, Walther <waltherl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are manipulating data in your controller then your 'doing it
> wrong'.
>
> 'GoodCake' is to have the bulk of your code in your models (Fat model,
> thin controller), the controller should almost only call the correct
> model methods (And perform things like authorisation, authentication,
> session management, etc.).
>
> You should also take a look at the new virtualFields in CakePHP 1.3.
> This allows you to easily use sql snippets as if they were real fields
> (Something like YEAR(NOW()) - YEAR(Person.birthday) as age) .
>
> If you have any queries come join the IRC channel
>
> On Mar 31, 6:31 am, Jamie <jamie....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > I'm afraid that there's no satisfying answer for you. Cake doesn't map
> > DB records to objects; arrays are all you're gonna get. If you want
> > your data in objects instead of arrays, then you'll have to rework a
> > substantial part of the Cake core. You're stuck with arrays unless you
> > want to do some serious, serious work. ;)
>
> > As Andy mentioned, you can use Model callbacks - especially afterFind
> > - to format your data. You can also write helpers to accomplish a lot
> > of the dirty work. So, instead of $person->getAge(), you might have
> > $formatter->getAge($person['Person']['birthday']) where "$formatter"
> > is FormatterHelper and getAge() is a function that takes a date and
> > converts it to an age. For helpers:
>
> >http://book.cakephp.org/view/1095/Helpers
>
> > Hope that helps.
>
> > - Jamie
>
> > On Mar 30, 8:31 pm, paws_galuten <jason.galu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm new to cakePHP and it seems like the only way to retrieve data
> > > from the data source is as an array. I'm finding that I am using a lot
> > > of code in my controller to prepare the arrays for display in the
> > > view, when I would rather be able to send an object to the view and
> > > get data from that object.
>
> > > For example, if I had a person object, I could have an attribute that
> > > was their birthdate and in the view I could easily get their age with
> > > something like $person->getAge(). If I only have the person as an
> > > array, then I have to do the calculating of the age before I can
> > > display it.
>
> > > Does this make sense? It is a simplistic example, but I can see myself
> > > having to write a lot of code to manipulate arrays before the raw
> > > database data is usable.
>
> > > Thanks for your insights,
> > > Jason

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

To unsubscribe, reply using "remove me" as the subject.



--
-

"You can't reason people out of a position they didn't use reason to get into."

Christian Leskowsky

Check out the new CakePHP Questions site http://cakeqs.org and help others with their CakePHP related questions.
 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en

No comments: