Friday, November 28, 2008

Re: Upload behavior

Hey! I didn't know that the Upload Behaviour had become a hole new project (Mi Base as I can see?). I didn't have time to check it yet but as I read it seems promising, I've also noticed that it includes Mi Bake another great script of yours that I usually use, I learned a lot from it and think that it's a great piece of code for newbies to understand how cake works.

I'll give you guys feedback about my development.

Thanks!

Ad: About meeting you online, you mean by IRC?

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 9:11 AM, AD7six <andydawson76@gmail.com> wrote:



On Nov 27, 10:44 pm, "Federico Rinaldi" <federicorina...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm looking for a component that would let me upload files and
> hook up to do some actions regarding the type of the file, this is, for a an
> pdf document just upload the file but for an image let me proccess it to
> resize it, for a video let me convert it to flv and so on. Again: I don't
> want to just process everithing I'm willing to work over it to expand it's
> functionality.
>
> I already worked with the great Ad7six's "Generic File Upload Behavior" for
> a while but I had to hack it to fix some bugs and also to get more
> functionality. And I've made a really big site (more than 1000 files
> uploaded per day) that lately started to delete files when new ones where
> uploaded (we didn't fix that yet) so I was searching for something more well
> designed. I looked over the Attm project that was promessing but as an early
> adopter I found lots of bugs (months ago).
>
> So you have any suggestions? one of the said projects are mature enough to
> be the match for me? I'm not beeing picky if you guys tell me that the
> functionality I'm requesting is not out there I will create it, just please
> give me some feedback what you think is going to be the best way.

Thanks for the comments ;)

There are quite a few similar projects around of course - I'm not
familiar with them though :).

It sounds like you're looking for what the generic upload behavior has
become (see mi base behaviors @ Dardo's link). They (upload,
image_upload, pdf_upload, archive_upload) may need a bit of further
improvement/refactoring/slimming down(in the case of the base
behavior) but are written with the sort of thing you describe in mind.
The factory mode allows you to declare acts as upload and it delegates
to a more specific behavior if one exists - at least, that's the
design. Use with care though, I added this with admin-users in mind,
not joe blow who will try uploading a malicious file.


> I state again that the Ad7six is awasome but has a cople of design flaws for
> example if you override the hasMany property of a model and you forget to
> add 'Attachment' again you lost it's functionality.

I'm not sure what you mean by that - but am also fully aware that
everything can be improved. I've strated writing testcases for the
upload behaviors - and changed the way it works to be more testing
friendly (i.e. allowing it to work either by 'importing' a file
already on the server, or by uploading).

If you choose to use the upload behaviors, find me online if you have
any patches to discuss. At some point I'll move mi to git so you can
more easily tweak/patch/customize/personalize the code I've provided.

Cheers,

AD








--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CakePHP" group.
To post to this group, send email to cake-php@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cake-php+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

No comments: